Monday, November 22, 2010

Relationship Clarification

For some strange reason, friends often feel that I am an appropriate source of relationship advice. I find this ceaselessly amusing, because I'm no more qualified to give relationship advice than I am to give medical advice. In fact, I may actually be less competent in relationship advice, because every now and then, telling someone to "walk it off" might just be what they need.
"Oh, man. That looked like it hurt. You should walk that off."

I think a major issue I have when people ask me for relationship advice is that I have difficulty understanding the situation at hand. In my defense, this isn't my fault. There are so many terms used in so many different ways to describe relationships that it's not surprising that I don't know what's going on. For that reason, I've compiled a list of these terms and how I understand them. In the future, keep these in mind when you are discussing your relationship with me.

Here's how my thought process works for the most basic of statements.

What you say: "I'm single."
How I initially interpret this: "You do not have multiple personalities."
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "I am not romantically involved with anyone."
How I normally use this: "I'm single, mostly because I have trouble talking to girls."

Alternatively, you might say...

What you say: "I'm not seeing anyone right now."
How I initially interpret this: "I have gone blind right now!"
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "I'm single right now."
How I normally use this: "Who are you pointing at?"


It gets more complicated once you start bringing other people into it.


What you say: "I'm seeing this really great girl right now."
How I initially interpret this: "I spy, with my little eye..."
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "I'm sleeping with someone very temporarily."
How I normally use this: "I spy, with my little eye..."

Ok, now we're getting someplace...

What you say: "I'm sleeping with X"
How I initially interpret this: "I enjoy spooning."
What I eventually assume you mean: "I am spending a lot of time awake with X in places one would normally sleep."
How I use this: "I'm sleeping with my favorite stuffed animal."

More complexities!

What you say: "I'm hooking up with a cool girl right now"
How I initially interpret this: You are a fisherman.
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "I occasionally kiss a girl I would not not hold hands with in public."
How I normally use this: "While playing football, the quarterback hooked up with the receiver for a 30 yard completion"

Even simple statements can make me get lost in thought for a second.

What you say: "I'm dating X"
How I initially interpret this: You are bragging about something, but I can't figure out what yet.
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "I do things in public with a girl I frequently kiss."
How I normally use this: "I guess I'm just dating myself, now..."

But what if things go wrong?

What you say: "We're taking a little break."
How I initially interpret this: "I have a kit-kat bar. Would you like me to break you off a piece, too?"
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "We feel like sleeping with other people for a bit."
How I normally use this: "I and my multiple personalities are not going to do any work for a while."

Lastly...
What you say: "I broke up with X"
How I initially interpret this: Heck, even I can understand this one.
What I eventually assume you mean to say: "That girl I used to kiss is now kissing other guys. Or girls."
How I normally use this: Well, I guess I have to be dating someone and then actually end up deciding that I don't want to date that person, then have the balls to end it. I don't think I've ever used this one, actually.
If you have similar difficulties understanding what people mean when they try to tell you something, please let me know. We should all work together to standardize the vocabulary here.

In other news, I have been featured on another blog! Jeremy and his friend have been alarmed by my actions, but I can inform you, I have only the best intentions in my dealings with the Syndicate Blatt. For complete coverage (and a picture of me shirtless), see here.

Anyway, hope all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment